Determine if cash disbursements were properly accounted for, supported and approved.
- The Board has not appointed a claims auditor to audit claims before payment as required by the School’s cash disbursement policy.
- Cash disbursements were not properly approved prior to payment, supported or accounted for in a timely manner.
- School officials are using debit cards for cash disbursements.
- Appoint a claims auditor.
- Develop procedures to preapprove purchases and document and verify that goods and services are received at the agreed upon price, quantity and in good condition and provide for an adequate segregation of these duties.
- Consider ending the use of debit cards.
School officials generally agreed with our recommendations and indicated they plan to initiate corrective action. Appendix B includes our comment on an issue raised in the School’s response letter.