Purpose of Audit
The objective of our audit was to review the District’s financial operations for the period January 1, 2014 through March 3, 2016.
The Harford Fire District is a district corporation of the State, distinct and separate from the Town of Harford and Cortland County in which it is located. The District is governed by an elected five-member Board of Fire Commissioners. General fund budgeted appropriations for 2016 total approximately $99,000.
- The Board did not segregate key financial duties and did not implement compensating controls.
- Annual financial reports were not completed within the 60-day requirement for 2014 or 2015.
- The Treasurer’s accounting records were inaccurate, and at times, illegible; his financial reports were inconsistent, untimely and inaccurate.
- Neither the Treasurer nor any other District official performed bank reconciliations.
- Segregate key financial duties or implement compensating controls.
- Ensure that the Treasurer files the annual financial report within the prescribed time frame.
- Attend training regarding recordkeeping and financial reporting.
- Complete monthly bank reconciliations and budget-to-actual reports.