Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to examine the District’s purchasing procedures and employee overtime for the period January 1, 2015 through September 30, 2016.
The Bohemia Fire District is a district corporation of the State, distinct and separate from the Town of Islip, in Suffolk County. The District, which provides fire protection and other emergency services to approximately 10,000 residents, is governed by an elected five-member Board of Fire Commissioners. Expenditures for 2016 totaled approximately $3 million.
- District officials did not always use competitive methods when procuring goods and services.
- At the District’s organizational meeting each year, the Board appointed specific vendors to provide goods and services for the year, without obtaining competition.
- District officials did not ensure that the District is incurring only necessary overtime costs.
- Ensure that District officials comply with competitive bidding requirements when purchasing goods and services or entering into public works contracts that exceed bidding thresholds established by General Municipal Law.
- Discontinue the practice of preselecting vendors to provide goods or perform services for the District.
- Adopt policies and procedures to properly control and monitor overtime by approving and providing justification for overtime prior to the work being performed.