Determine whether the Board of the Town of Clarence Industrial Development Agency (CIDA) properly approved and monitored projects.
The Board did not properly approve or monitor its projects.
- The Board did not verify job creation goals or other criteria while assessing material aspects of the proposed projects prior to approving them.
- The Board did not properly monitor projects to determine whether project goals were being met.
- Officials did not ensure that project approvals were transparent to the public by posting required documents on CIDA’s website.
- The Board and officials did not ensure that CIDA’s annual report was accurate before submitting it to State oversight agencies.
- Approve projects that include measurable goals in project agreements.
- Monitor all active projects to determine whether job creation and/or retention goals are being met.
- Post required information on CIDA’s website.
- Submit accurate reports to State oversight agencies.
Although IDA officials disagreed with certain aspects of our findings, they generally agreed with our recommendations. Appendix C includes OSC’s comments on issues raised in the IDA’s response.