Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to examine the Authority’s claims auditing and cash receipts processes for the period October 1, 2015 through October 31, 2016.
The Rockville Centre Housing Authority is located in the Village of Rockville Centre in Nassau County. The Authority, which was established to provide low-rent housing for qualified individuals, is governed by a six-member Board of Commissioners. Operating expenditures for the 2015-16 fiscal year totaled $755,829.
- The Board did not ensure that an audit of claims was performed in compliance with Authority bylaws.
- The Board did not adopt policies and written procedures for the Authority’s cash receipt process.
- The clerk’s duties were not adequately segregated because she was responsible for collecting receipts, recording transactions in the financial software, preparing and making bank deposits and preparing bank reconciliations.
- Ensure that a deliberate and thorough audit of claims is performed before payment is made by someone independent of purchasing and check signing.
- Develop and adopt policies and written procedures for collecting, processing, recording and depositing cash receipts.
- Ensure that the clerk’s duties are adequately segregated or implement compensating controls, such as providing supervisory review of her work.