Determine whether the Board of Commissioners (Board) provided adequate oversight of Kingston Housing Authority (Authority) operations.
The Board did not provide adequate oversight of Authority operations. As a result:
- Budgets were not entered into the financial system and financial transactions were not properly captured.
- Adequate oversight of disbursements, bank transfers and bank reconciliations were not achieved.
- $6.51 million in disbursements and bank transfers were made without review or approval.
- $1,035 in management fees were incorrectly billed.
- Financial system access was not properly administered.
- Properly oversee Authority finances.
- Assign financial system user rights based on job duties. Each user should have a unique user name and password.
Authority officials generally agreed with our recommendations and have initiated or indicated they planned to initiate corrective action. Appendix B includes our comment on an issue that was raised in the Authority’s response letter.