Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to review the process and procedures used to procure professional services for the period July 1, 2013 through June 5, 2015.
The Canandaigua City School District is located in the City of Canandaigua in Ontario County. The District is governed by an elected nine-member Board. The District operates three schools and has approximately 3,600 students. Budgeted appropriations for the 2014-15 fiscal year totaled approximately $68.7 million.
- The District did not properly seek competition for 14 professional service providers totaling $477,235.
- Although the Board has developed a procurement policy, the corresponding regulations do not provide adequate guidance for seeking competition when procuring professional services.
- The District failed to establish comprehensive procedures in the regulations corresponding to the general documentation requirement of the procurement policy.
- Require District officials to award professional service contracts only after soliciting competition.
- Provide guidance as to how competition should be solicited for professional services.
- Clarify the documentation requirements to be used during the solicitation process.