Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to examine oversight of the Commission’s financial operations for the period January 1, 2012 through April 30, 2015.
The Ballston Area Recreation Commission is a joint activity established to provide low-cost recreational and educational programs to children residing in the Towns of Milton, Malta and Ballston, the Village of Ballston Spa and the Ballston Spa Central School District, in Saratoga County. The Commission is governed by a nine-member Executive Committee elected by the Commission’s voting membership. Expenditures for 2014 totaled approximately $136,000.
- The Director did not maintain complete records to account for the fees collected from each program.
- The Director did not maintain records of sales or make regular bank deposits for money collected from the soccer concession stand.
- The Commission has not filed annual update documents with OSC since 2004.
- Establish policies and procedures to provide the Director with a consistent method for collecting funds from program operations.
- Establish an internal control structure that includes adequate segregation of duties in the cash receipts process and recover from the Director all funds received from the soccer concession stand that were not deposited.
- File the annual update document with OSC within 60 days after the close of the fiscal year.