Determine if District officials approved purchases before items were ordered and if competition was sought for goods and services not subject to competitive bidding.
District officials did not:
- Seek competition for 16 of 20 professional service providers paid approximately $1.42 million.
- Obtain quotes for goods and services for 19 purchases totaling $70,634, as required by the District’s purchasing policy.
- Ensure that purchases of goods and services totaling $22,899 were made with prior approval, resulting in confirming purchase orders (POs).
District officials should:
- Follow the District’s procurement policy that requires the use of request for proposals to solicit professional services.
- Obtain verbal or written quotes when required by the purchasing policy.
- Issue and have approval for POs prior to ordering goods and services.
District officials agreed with our recommendations and indicated they planned to initiate corrective action.