Determine whether the Manchester-Shortsville Central School District (District) officials properly and transparently used capital project resources.
Officials did not properly or transparently use capital project resources. As a result, voters were not afforded the opportunity to ratify or reject the Board’s decisions or have assurance that officials obtained services at the best cost.
- Officials added another project phase totaling approximately $1.2 million and completed $149,000 in additional work that were not presented to and approved by the voters.
- The Board did not competitively bid four change orders totaling $244,000, as required.
- Officials did not follow their procurement policy and seek competition for project related professional services totaling more than $1 million.
- Present future capital project plans transparently to voters.
- Competitively bid change orders exceeding the statutory bid limit.
- Procure professional services in accordance with District policy.
District officials agreed with our recommendations and indicated they planned to initiate corrective action.