Determine whether Batavia City School District (District) officials appropriately track and inventory information technology (IT) equipment.
District officials did not appropriately track and inventory IT equipment. District officials:
- Did not adopt a comprehensive written policy for establishing and maintaining IT equipment inventory.
- Did not maintain a complete and accurate IT equipment inventory or perform an annual physical inventory.
- Could not locate 229 staff computers and 62 tablets and paid approximately $17,000 in annual service fees in the 2021-22 fiscal year for missing devices.
- Adopt a comprehensive written policy for establishing and maintaining controls to appropriately track and inventory IT equipment.
- Maintain a complete, comprehensive inventory list and perform an annual physical inventory.
- Reconcile the BOCES-owned inventory list and remove and/or return devices that were not in service.
District officials generally agreed with our recommendations and indicated they planned to initiate corrective action.