Determine whether Central Valley Central School District (District) officials appropriately tracked, inventoried and safeguarded information technology (IT) assets acquired or in use during the audit period.
District officials did not appropriately track or inventory IT assets, maintain complete IT inventory records or establish adequate controls to safeguard IT assets. As a result, officials cannot assure taxpayers that money invested in IT assets has been appropriately spent or safeguarded.
We selected 50 IT assets to confirm their location and that they were inventoried, and 10 additional IT assets to confirm they were inventoried. We found 8 percent of the sampled assets were not properly accounted for. Specifically:
- Two Chromebooks with a combined estimated cost of $430 based on recent purchases could not be located.
- One Chromebook costing $215 could not be located and was not on inventory records.
- Two laptops, one costing $510 and one with an estimated cost of $600, were not inventoried.
In addition, annual inventories were not conducted and officials did not adopt a comprehensive written policy for IT equipment inventory.
- Maintain complete, accurate and up-to-date inventory records.
- Perform annual inventories.
District officials generally agreed with our recommendations and have initiated or indicated they planned to initiate corrective action. Appendix B includes our comments on issues raised in the District’s response letter.