Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to determine if the Board is monitoring the fire and ambulance companies that provide emergency services to the Town for the period January 1, 2015 through September 30, 2016.
The Town of Dover is located in Dutchess County and has a population of approximately 8,500. The Town, which is governed by an elected five-member Town Board, contracts with a fire company to provide services in its fire protection district and with an ambulance company for basic life support ambulance services. The Town’s budgeted appropriations for 2016 totaled approximately $4.7 million.
- There is no record of a Board member who is Deputy Treasurer of the fire company disclosing his interest in the 2015 and 2016 contracts or of the member recusing himself from voting on the contracts.
- The Board did not hold a public hearing for the ambulance contract.
- Town officials did not receive annual financial statements from the fire company and did not review response logs.
- Consider amending the Town’s code of ethics to require that Board members who are officers of the fire company recuse themselves from voting on matters that they have an interest in.
- Consider holding a public hearing when entering into a new ambulance service contract.
- Ensure financial statements are provided as stated in the fire company contract and request and review fire company emergency response reports periodically.