Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to assess the cash collection procedures at the Town's pool and skating rink and the allocation of sales tax revenue for the period January 1, 2015 through August 31, 2016.
The Town of Hoosick, which includes the Village of Hoosick Falls within its boundaries, is located in Rensselaer County and has a population of approximately 6,900. The Town is governed by an elected five-member Town Board. Budgeted appropriations for 2016 totaled approximately $2.9 million.
- Adequate records were not maintained for collections at the Town's skating rink and for admissions and concession stand sales at the Town pool.
- The Town did not properly allocate sales tax revenues to its part-town funds in compliance with statute.
- For the 2014 though 2016 fiscal years, sales tax of $130,615 that should have been allocated to part-town funds was allocated to town-wide funds.
- Establish and adopt policies and procedures that require employees collecting money to adequately document collections using the cash register, where applicable, and receipts in all other instances.
- Allocate sales tax revenues to the part-town funds in compliance with statute.
- Seek legal counsel regarding the return of the $130,615 from the town-wide funds to the part-town funds.