Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to examine the Town's credit card purchases to determine whether the cards were used for appropriate purposes and in compliance with the Town's policies for the period January 1, 2015 through July 31, 2016.
The Town of Lake Pleasant is located in Hamilton County and has a population of approximately 780. The Town is governed by an elected five-member Town Board. Budgeted appropriations for 2016 totaled approximately $2.5 million.
- Town officials did not establish policies and procedures over the use of credit cards.
- The Town had a total of 24 credit cards during our audit period, and the credit limits on the individual cards ranged from $1,000 to $20,000.
- Not all credit card purchases were supported with receipts or other documentation.
- Adopt written credit card policies and procedures.
- Limit the number of Town credit cards to a more reasonable number and reduce the credit limits to no more than $5,000 per card.
- Ensure that all credit card charges are actual, necessary and supported by itemized receipts.