Determine whether the Town billed charges in the Redwood Water and Sewer Districts in accordance with Town ordinances.
Town officials did not bill water and sewer charges in accordance with Town ordinances. We found:
- The water ordinance did not provide a clear, consistent and equitable basis for billing property owners. In addition, certain charges stipulated in the water and sewer ordinances did not conform to applicable State law.
- We reviewed water and sewer billings totaling $82,649 for 70 property owners and identified about $10,339 in charges that were inconsistent with the ordinances.
- Water meter readings were not always reliable during our audit period, but officials have taken measures to obtain more reliable readings.
- Update the ordinances to clearly define and specify all charges and ensure they conform to applicable State law.
- Ensure procedures are in place to verify residents are properly billed in accordance with the ordinances.
- Ensure meter readings are reliable.
Town officials agreed with our recommendations and indicated they planned to initiate corrective action.