Determine whether Town of Hempstead (Town) officials accurately accrued and accounted for compensatory (comp) time.
Town officials did not ensure comp time hours were accurately accrued and accounted for. As a result, officials do not have adequate assurance that all comp time is appropriately earned, accurately recorded and properly monitored. Town officials did not:
- Establish a policy or written procedures to ensure that comp time hours were authorized, documented and accounted for.
- Require comp time to be properly supported and approved by direct supervisors.
- Ensure separation payments that included a payment for unused comp time were supported.
The Board and officials should:
- Adopt a policy or written procedures to provide guidelines for pre-approval of overtime, adequate documentation and supervisory approval authorizing accrual of comp time.
- Ensure earned comp time is properly supported and approved.
- Ensure separation payments are properly supported.
Town officials generally agreed with our recommendations and indicated they planned to take corrective action. Appendix B includes our comments on the issues raised in the Town’s response letter.