Determine whether the Town of Groton (Town) officials established long-term capital and financial plans to address the Town’s Highway Department equipment needs.
Town officials did not establish long-term capital and financial plans to address the Town’s Highway Department equipment needs. As a result:
- 17 of the 24 pieces of major highway equipment (71 percent) were at or beyond their optimal usable life.
- Out of 17 pieces of major highway equipment reviewed, five trucks accounted for $81,250 (76 percent) of total repair costs during the audit period. If equipment is in need of repair on a regular basis, services to taxpayers may not be provided timely and adequately.
- Develop long-term capital and financial plans to replace highway capital assets in a timely manner.
- Consider funding reserves for the highway capital equipment needs.
- Provide the Board with written recommendations as to what highway machinery, tools, implements and equipment should be purchased.
Town officials agreed with our findings and indicated they plan to initiate corrective action.