A special 25-year retirement plan providing an alternative retirement benefit for Nassau County sheriffs, undersheriffs, deputy sheriffs, correction officers and/or uniformed correction division personnel became effective January 1, 1991. The features of this plan are briefly described in this brochure.
For information about other benefits available to you, please consult the summary of your regular plan, which is available on our website or from our Call Center.
Tier 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 members are automatically covered by this retirement plan. Tier 3 members had to elect the plan by January 1, 1992, or within one year of entering covered employment. This election is irrevocable and provides Tier 3 members coverage under the Tier 4 benefits of this plan. The sheriff must certify eligible employees.
Creditable service includes all service performed as a sheriff, undersheriff, correction officer or uniformed correction division personnel in Nassau County. Deputy sheriff service is creditable if at least 50 percent of your duties directly engage you in criminal law enforcement.
Credit may also be granted for service earned in the following eligible titles:
- Uniformed employee in an institution under the jurisdiction of the New York State Department of Correctional Services;
- Security hospital treatment assistant under the jurisdiction of the New York State Office of Mental Health;
- County correction officer, sheriff, undersheriff or deputy sheriff covered by a plan that provides for retirement after 25 years (If you were previously employed by another county that did not provide a special 25-year retirement plan and it adopts a plan prior to your retirement, your service in one of these titles with that county can then be credited.);
- Member or officer of the New York State Police;
- Paid firefighter, police officer or officer of an organized fire department or police force of any county, city, village, town, fire district or police district;
- Criminal investigator in the office of a district attorney prior to January 1, 1960 (up to five years may be credited);
- Certain military service;
- Certain New York City correction officer service (you must pay the full cost — there is no employer subsidy).
Since it may be necessary for you to purchase or transfer some of this service, please contact us to determine eligibility.
Sections 89-g and 603(d) of the Retirement and Social Security Law (RSSL) provide a benefit equal to 50 percent of your final average salary on completion of 25 years of creditable service, regardless of age.
When you retire, if you are eligible for a benefit under your regular retirement plan, we will compare that benefit to the one payable under Section 89-g or 603(d) and pay the greater of the two benefits.
Please note, this brochure describes benefits available to sheriffs, undersheriffs and deputy sheriffs who have not elected the 20-year plan provided by Nassau County. To confirm your retirement plan, please refer to your member annual statement.
Partial Lump Sum Payment
Effective April 15, 2015, eligible Nassau County employees may elect to receive a reduced lifetime retirement benefit in exchange for a one-time partial lump sum (PLS) payment. To be eligible to choose a PLS payment, your date of retirement must be on or after April 15, 2015, and you must:
- Be employed as a sheriff, undersheriff, deputy sheriff or county correction officer;
- Retire under a special 20- or 25-year plan;
- Have been eligible to retire with a service retirement benefit for at least one year prior to your actual date of retirement; and
- Retire with a service retirement benefit.
Depending on the number of years you have been eligible to retire, your choice of the PLS payment can be either 5, 10, 15, 20, or 25 percent of the actuarial value of your retirement benefit at the time of retirement.
For more detailed information, including the taxability of a PLS payment, please refer to our publication, Partial Lump Sum Payment at Retirement.
The death benefit for Tier 1 and 2 correction officers covered by this special plan is the same as the benefit provided by your regular retirement plan. Please consult the summary of your regular retirement plan to learn more about this benefit.
After 90 days of service, the death benefit for Tier 3, 4, 5 and 6 correction officers is three times your salary raised to the next highest multiple of $1,000. The salary is limited by Section 130 of the Civil Service Law. There is no post-retirement death benefit available.
Special Disability Benefits
Nassau County has elected to provide special performance of duty disability benefits for sheriffs, undersheriffs, deputy sheriffs and correction officers. If you become disabled and unable to perform your job duties due to Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), tuberculosis, hepatitis or heart disease, you may be eligible to file for this disability benefit. If approved, your benefit would be 75 percent of your final average salary less any Workers’ Compensation benefits you are receiving or would be eligible to receive. Please contact us for eligibility and filing requirements.
Other Disability Benefits
Other disability benefits are available to you. Please consult the summary of your regular retirement plan to learn more about these benefits.
For More Information
If you have any questions or you need more information, you can:
- Email us;
- Phone our Call Center toll-free at 1-866-805-0990, or 518-474-7736 in the Albany, New York area; or
- Write to us at:
110 State Street
Albany, NY 12244-0001
You can also make an appointment to meet with an Information Representative at any of our consultation sites throughout the State. A list of these consultation sites is available on our website or from our Call Center.
VO1813 (Rev. 4/16)
© 2016, New York State and Local Retirement System
This publication provides a general summary of retirement benefits, rights and responsibilities, and is not a substitute for any New York State or federal law. For specific information about your benefits, please contact us.