Contribution Stabilization Program

Participation in the Program

Contribution Stabilization Program

Joining the Program

Employers are eligible to participate in the CSP during a fiscal year in which their graded rate falls below their average rate. When this happens, the maximum amount they are eligible to amortize will appear on their invoice.

To elect to participate in the Contribution Stabilization Program (CSP), you must complete and submit a Participation Request form.

Forms can be submitted by:

  • Email as an attachment to [email protected]; or
  • Mail to:  
                  Employer Services
                  110 State Street
                  Albany, NY 12244-0001

If you are both an Employees’ Retirement System (ERS) and Police and Fire Retirement System (PFRS) employer, you may choose to amortize amounts on either, both or neither invoice. ERS and PFRS invoices are treated separately.

Please read the information on the How the Program Works page carefully before you submit a form to participate in this program.


Withdrawing from the Program

A new law enacted in April 2023 allows employers who have participated in the CSP to withdraw from the program provided that the employer meets certain conditions:

  • Pay, in full, all outstanding amortizations plus interest; and
  • Submit a Termination Request form.

To withdraw from the program, an authorized person from your organization — either the CEO or CFO, or a person designated by them — will need to complete the Termination Request form.

Forms can be submitted by:

  • Email as an attachment to [email protected]; or
  • Mail to:  
                  NYSLRS Employer Billing Unit
                  110 State St
                  Albany, NY 12244-0001

Your withdrawal from the program is subject to review and approval by NYSLRS.

Withdrawal will take effect in the fiscal year billing cycle following the fiscal year of approval. For example, if you withdraw in fiscal year 2024 (April 1, 2023 – March 31, 2024), you will begin paying the normal rate (not the graded rate) in fiscal year 2025 (for your bill that will be due in February 2025). Beginning with that invoice and going forward, you would not be required to make a graded payment, and you would not be able to amortize your annual pension contribution unless you elect to participate in the CSP.

If you have a reserve fund balance after withdrawing from the CSP, your balance will be automatically applied toward a portion of your future invoice payments until your reserve funds are depleted. Reserve funds will be applied toward your invoice up to the maximum amount you would have been able to amortize in a given fiscal year if you were still participating in the program. NYSLRS will notify you when you are able to use your reserve funds during the annual billing cycle.

If you have withdrawn from the CSP, you may rejoin if:

  • You would be eligible to amortize; and
  • Your reserve fund has been depleted.

If you have questions or need additional information, you can use our help desk form (select “Employer Billing” from the dropdown) or call 866-805-0990 and press 1 to access the employer menu, then follow the prompts.


Rev. 12/23