Claims for Deceased Owners and Estates

If the owner is deceased, the claim must be submitted by the person appointed by the court to handle the estate. If there is no court appointed estate representative, you can submit a claim if you are a:

  • Surviving spouse
  • Immediate blood relative (children, parents, siblings)
  • Other blood relative (grandchildren, niece/nephew, aunt/uncle, cousins)
  • Creditor (such as the payer of funeral expenses)

In some cases, a Voluntary Administrator may need to be appointed, particularly if the claim exceeds $1,000. Visit the Office of Court Administration website for more information.

Screenshot of the first step in the claim process of the Unclaimed Funds application.


Enter the name in the "Search for Individual box" on our Search for Lost Money page. Then select the item you wish to claim from the search results.

How to Submit a Claim

You can submit a claim online or by mail. If submitting online, you must provide your Social Security number for verification.

If the owner is incorrectly listed as deceased, then follow the Mail Instructions below. Do not submit your claim online. 

Online Instructions

  1. Follow the step-by-step directions to select your relationship to the owner, enter your Social Security number and the owner's (if known), and provide your contact information. 
  2. On the final step, select Submit to validate your claim and obtain your confirmation number. 
  3. You'll receive an email within 24 hours explaining what documents are needed to complete your claim. Typically, we require:
    • A copy of the death certificate. Death certificates can be obtained by contacting the Health Department in the state or county where the decedent resided, or the funeral home that provided the services.
    • Proof of Address or Ownership connecting the owner to the address or funds.
    • Letters of Authority (Testamentary/Administration) issued by the court certifying your appointment, dated within the last six months, or a Small Estates Affidavit and Table of Heirs.
  4. Submit your documents online by using your phone or mobile device to take a picture of each document. Your claim will not be completed until you submit the requested documents.

See What to Expect from Us for timeframes on the review process and payment. 

Mail Instructions

If you prefer not to provide your Social Security number, or the owner is incorrectly listed as deceased, follow these steps:

  1. Select your relationship to the owner in the dropdown and then select Next
  2. Select Next again to continue to Step 3, and then select the Mail-in Claim Form link (pictured below).
  3. Complete the information requested on the Mail-in Claim Form page.
  4. Print the form, sign it and have your signature notarized by a licensed notary public.
  5. Attach the documents listed in the Required Documentation section of the claim form. These documents may include:
  6. Mail to:
    Office of the State Comptroller
    Office of Unclaimed Funds
    110 State Street
    Albany, New York 12236

See What to Expect from Us for timeframes on the review process and payment. 

Screenshot of the third step in the claim process of the Unclaimed Funds application.