Reporting Unclaimed Funds to New York State


If you’re using a New York format to report unclaimed funds, move to the NAUPA format before filing your next report. Only NAUPA-formatted reports will be accepted by our new system, when we convert in 2025.

For specific questions or concerns, go to Contact Us, select “Subject: Reporter Question” and add “NAUPA Conversation” in the comments section.

New York State’s Abandoned Property Law requires certain entities to transfer abandoned money or securities to the New York State Comptroller’s Office of Unclaimed Funds. Entities required to report and remit unclaimed funds include, for example, banks, insurance companies, corporations and state agencies. The funds derive from inactive bank accounts, uncollected insurance policies or refunds, amounts due for undelivered goods or services, abandoned stocks, uncashed checks and more. The Comptroller serves as the custodian of unclaimed funds until they’re claimed by the rightful owners.

Determine if you’re required to report unclaimed funds

Review the reporting rules, programs and resources:

Follow the reporting process

Review your records every year and perform due diligence as required for items that have reached specific dormancy thresholds according to the Property Type Table and Calendar of Events. Prepare your report including:

  1. A detailed list of the funds you’re transferring. Complete each field with accurate data, to increase the likelihood of locating each claimant’s property. Select one of the acceptable electronic formats for submitting your report. 
  2. Payment by check (payable to Comptroller, State of New York) or Electronic Funds Transfer. Transfer securities as described on the Security Delivery Instructions.
  3. A summary of the report details and remittance filed on Verification and Checklist Form AC2709.

Compare the 3 parts of the report before submitting them, to make sure they balance.

Submit your payment

The Calendar of Events outlines when reports and property types are due. You may have to file multiple times during the year depending on the type of property you are reporting. Remit funds using Electronic Funds Transfer or check. Remit securities using the Security Delivery Instructions.

Mail checks, paper reports (using Form AC2686) or electronic media to:

Office of the State Comptroller
Remittance Control, 2nd Floor
110 State Street
Albany, NY 12236

Be aware of penalties and interest

Interest charges apply for late payment or delivery of abandoned property.  Penalties apply if you’re required to report and remit unclaimed funds, but fail to send full and complete reports, affidavits, or remittances by the due date.

Learn more about our Voluntary Compliance Program.

Additional information