Required Documentation

Virtual Assistant Chatbot

If you file a claim:

  • online, you may receive an email asking for documentation to prove ownership.
  • by mail, you can attach the required documentation to your claim form. In some cases, we may send you a letter asking for additional documentation. 

Below is a list of acceptable forms of proof.

Proof for Individuals

Proof of Address

If your current address is different from the address appearing in the Item Details, submit proof of your connection to the old address. Acceptable proof includes copies of:

  • Driver's license or non-driver photo ID showing the old address;
  • Birth and marriage certificates;
  • Passport, if it shows old address;
  • Bills and statements such as banking, utility, medical, credit cards;
  • Records such as tax (W2 and 1099 forms), school, insurance, medical, military;
  • Legal papers such as divorce decree, separation agreement and mortgage; and
  • Postmarked envelope. 
Proof of Ownership

Acceptable proofs of ownership include copies of:

  • Bank books, passbooks or bank or mutual fund statements;
  • Certificates such as stocks, bonds or bond coupons;
  • Uncashed checks such as money orders, gift certificates or traveler's checks; and
  • Insurance policies.
Proof of Name Change

Acceptable proof includes:

  • Marriage certificate;
  • Adoption papers;
  • Divorce decree; and
  • Court papers.
Proof of Authorization (to Claim on Owner’s Behalf)

To make a claim on behalf of another person, prove your connection to the owner by submitting the following documents:

  • Copy of a child’s birth certificate or legal adoption order (if under age 18).
  • Proof of the claimant’s age, such as birth certificate, driver’s license or other government issued identification showing the birth date.
  • Court documents or other signed legal documents giving the claimant authority to act on the owner's behalf, such as:
    • Court order
    • Letters of Guardianship
    • Letters of Conservatorship
    • Trust Agreement
    • Power of Attorney
    • Legal Representative
  • Affidavit from the Power of Attorney that the owner is living, and the power of attorney remains in full force and effect.

If you're asked to provide a copy of a death certificate, see Claims for Deceased Owners and Estates for instructions on how to obtain one. 

Proof for Organizations

Proof of Authorization (to Sign on Behalf of the Organization)
  • Corporate Seal affixed to a notarized claim form;
  • Notarized statement from an appropriate officer or partner authorizing the signatory to sign on behalf of the organization;
  • Copy of recent dated cancelled business check; and
  • Certificate of Sole Proprietorship or DBA.
Proof of Name Change, Merger, Acquisition
  • Copy of Certificate of Change filed with the Department of State;
  • Articles of Incorporation showing ownership of the business and name changes;
  • Copy of Merger Agreements; and
  • List of subsidiaries your organization can claim on behalf of, such as IRS form 851, SEC form 10-K or Corporation Annual Report.
Proof of Organization Closed, Dissolved, Sold
  • Certificate of Dissolution;
  • Copy of the sales agreement;
  • Bankruptcy papers; and
  • Notarized statement explaining the disposition of the organization.

If You Can't Provide Proof

If you don’t have the requested documents, please submit an explanation in writing.

For example, you don’t have proof of address because you never lived there or it’s been too long since you moved.

How to Submit Your Documentation Online

Step 1. Prepare Requested Documents

  • Scan or take a picture of requested documents with your computer or mobile device.
  • Save the document in one of the accepted file formats: PDF, JPEG, bitmap and GIF. File size must be under 5mb. (HINT - Free Scanner apps will turn a picture taken with your cell phone into a scanned document.)
  • Save all documents on the computer or mobile device that you will use to submit your documentation.
  • Note: A single file upload can have multiple pages instead of submitting a page per single file upload.

Step 2. Submit Your Documents Online

  • Go to: Submit Your Documentation online service
  • Enter the Confirmation Number or Claim Reference Number
  • Enter the Claimant’s Last Name exactly as it appears on the email or letter you received from us.
  • Review the list of Requested Documents.
  • Submit electronic copies of the documents by browsing and selecting files on your computer or mobile device.
  • Click ‘Browse’ to upload documents from computer/device. If you have more than three documents to upload, you must repeat the upload process again after uploading your first three documents.

To submit your documents by mail, send to:

Office of the State Comptroller
Office of Unclaimed Funds
110 State Street
Albany, New York 12236

After You've Submitted Your Documents

We'll let you know if we need more information. Please don't pay for documentation or services until we notify you that you're entitled to the claim.

When you get your check, please cash it as soon as possible. You have until December 31 of the following calendar year to cash it. For example, a check issued on March 1, 2022, may be cashed until December 31, 2023. If you don't cash your check, it will be reported as unclaimed funds and you'll have to file a new claim.

Need Help?

If you need assistance, contact us