State Police Plan

For PFRS Tier 2, 5 and 6 Members, (Section 381-b)

Withdrawing Your Contributions and/or Your Membership

State Police Plan
For PFRS Tier 2, 5 and 6 Members
(Section 381-b)

If you leave public employment with less than ten years of credited service, you may end your membership and withdraw your accumulated mandatory contributions (with 5 percent interest compounded annually). To withdraw your membership, you should apply no earlier than 15 days after you leave public employment. Sign in to your Retirement Online account, go to the ‘My Account Summary’ area of your Account Homepage and click “Withdraw My Membership.” You can also apply by mail by submitting a Withdrawal Application (RS5014).1

Once you have ten or more years of service credit, you cannot withdraw from PFRS. Any mandatory contributions you made must stay in your account. If you qualify for a retirement benefit and you do not withdraw your membership, you may apply for a retirement benefit when you reach age 55 (age 63 for vested Tier 6 members who are off payroll). It is up to you to apply for your retirement benefit.

Members in non-contributory plans who are eligible to make voluntary contributions (also known as excess contributions) may withdraw them, plus interest, at any time before retirement, regardless of whether they are working. Withdrawing voluntary contributions does not terminate PFRS membership. To withdraw voluntary contributions, submit an Application for Refund of Excess Contributions (RS5195).

For all members, withdrawing contributions may have tax consequences. Please review the application carefully before submitting, and speak to a tax advisor if you have questions.


1Updated 10/22