Claims for Individuals


You can submit claims for individuals online or by mail.


Enter your name in the Search for Individual box on our Search for Lost Money page.

Submit Your Claim


  • Select the item you wish to claim from the search results.
  • Follow the step-by-step directions and prompts that appear onscreen after your Search.
  • Based on your answers and the information we have on file, we’ll let you know if your claim was successful or not.

By Mail

If you can't submit your claim online – or choose not to – follow these steps:

  • Complete the information requested on the “Mail Claim Form” page that appears after you select a name from the search results or select the “Mail Claim Form” link.
  • Enter your full name and current address to generate a claim form.
  • Print the form.
  • Sign the form and have your signature notarized by a licensed notary public.
  • Attach the Required Documentation.
  • Mail to:
    Office of the State Comptroller
    Office of Unclaimed Funds
    110 State Street
    Albany, New York 12236

When you get your check, please cash it as soon as possible. You have until December 31 of the following calendar year to cash it. For example, a check issued on March 1, 2014, may be cashed until December 31, 2015. If you don't cash your check, it will be reported as unclaimed funds and you'll have to file a new claim.