Holocaust Survivors

Over the years, the New York State Office of the State Comptroller has actively supported efforts to reunite Holocaust survivors and the heirs of Holocaust victims with funds that are rightfully theirs. We are committed to continuing this Office’s support for such efforts. 

If you have been  referred to this page as a result of our efforts, please download and complete the Special Claim Form. We will thoroughly research your claim and respond to you expeditiously. You may also Contact Us for additional assistance.

For Funds Held by Swiss Banks and Insurance Companies in Europe

If you are seeking information on accounts or policies established between January 1, 1933 and May 9, 1945, with Swiss banks or insurance companies, you may contact the New York State Department of Financial Services Holocaust Claims Processing Office (HCPO) as follows:

Claim forms and instructions can be downloaded from the HCPO Internet website. In addition, the HCPO will provide assistance in completing a claim form. The NYS Comptroller’s Office of Unclaimed Funds works in conjunction with the HCPO to ensure a thorough search of all available records.

For Funds Held by Swiss Bank Branches in New York State

At the beginning of WWII many of the Swiss banks established branch operations in New York. The Swiss banks subsequently transferred funds to their New York branches. After the war, the vast majority of those funds were transferred back to the Swiss banks in Europe. However, in some instances, funds belonging to Holocaust survivors and victims remained in those New York branches. Due to account inactivity, some of those branch offices subsequently reported those funds to the New York State Comptroller’s Office as dormant accounts. While many of these accounts have already been claimed by the rightful owners, some accounts still remain outstanding.

If you have reason to believe that you are the owner of such an account, or you are an owner’s heir, you may write to this Office and our staff will conduct a thorough search of our records.

Write to:

Office of Unclaimed Funds
Re: Holocaust Era Accounts
110 State Street
Albany, NY 12236

Please provide as much information as you have available to assist us in our search.

The Comptroller invites you to learn more about New York State’s Unclaimed Funds Program and the Office of the State Comptroller.