Section Overview and Policies
When employees travel on State business, they are entitled to reimbursement for appropriate expenses and will be reimbursed in accordance with the OSC Travel Manual and collective bargaining agreements. Employees must submit expense reports detailing all expenses incurred, including travel card charges, even if the employee has not incurred any out-of-pocket expenses.
In addition to the guidance contained in this section, State officers and employees that travel as part of their official duties should refer to:
- Chapter XIV, Section 10.B – Travel and Purchase Reward Programs; Updated Information Regarding T-Cards, P-Cards, and NET-Cards of this Guide to ensure compliance with the New York State Joint Commission on Public Integrity’s Advisory Opinion regarding travel reward programs.
- Chapter XIII, Section 6 – Potential Tax Consequences of Assigning and Incorrect Official Station of this Chapter to understand the potential tax consequences of assigning an inappropriate official station.
As needed, employees should complete the following forms for the travel event.
- Employee Report of Travel Expenses and Claim for Payment (AC 132-S)
- Statement of Incidental and Transportation Expenses (AC 3259-S)
- Statement of Meals Claimed (AC 3258-S)
- Statement of Automobile Travel (AC 160-S).
- For online agencies: Travelers, or their proxies, must complete the SFS Mileage Detail page to document mileage claims line by line, between destination points. When a proxy enters and submits an expense report into the SFS on the traveler’s behalf, the proxy must attach documentation completed by the traveler to support the line by line mileage claims in the SFS Mileage Detail page (e.g., AC 160-S, mileage upload spreadsheet, or another document containing the same information). Travelers who enter expense reports directly into SFS are not required to complete and attach the AC 160-S to the expense report.
- For bulkload agencies: Travelers must complete the AC 160-S when claiming reimbursement for mileage. The agency must maintain a copy of the completed form.
- Statement of State Corporate Travel Card Changes (AC 3256-S)
If any of the above forms were used to create an expense report, the forms must be retained and available for audit according to the General Retention and Disposition Schedule for New York State Government Records. For more information on record retention requirements, see Section 3 – Record Retention – Travel and Expense of this Chapter.
Process and Transaction Preparation:
Online Business Units
Employees must scan the forms and records used to support employee travel expenses and attach them to the expense report in the SFS Travel and Expense Module.
Bulkload Business Units
Bulkload users will complete and retain the applicable forms listed under the Overview and Policies heading above and the PeopleSoft Charge Continuation (AC 3254-S). Upon request from OSC, bulkload agency must provide the above documents to support the travel expenses.
Guide to Financial Operations