The purpose of this task is to rehire an employee who has a record in the Payroll System. An employee can only be rehired into the same Company in a Terminated inactive record. If the employee is being appointed to a different Company, an Add Employment Instance (Concurrent Hire) is required. The rehire salary must be submitted by the agency and approved by OSC. It may be necessary to enter salary withholding information, additional salary factors, or contract pay information, as needed.
- The rehire process updates the job information for the employee. The Agency should also verify that the employee's personal data is still accurate.
- The Agency must have both the NYS Empl ID and the Social Security number in order to complete a Rehire.
- With rehires, the Agency must verify that the Employee Tax Data pages, Direct Deposit page, and General Deduction Data page are still valid for the employee and change as required.
- All Additional Pay earnings, except overpayments, are ended when an employee is separated from state service, therefore, regardless of the time off the payroll, applicable Additional Pay earnings must be restarted.
- If the employee is in a position eligible for a salary withholding deduction and no days are held on the Salary Withholding Balances page, the employee must go through the salary withholding process, even if they previously went through the Salary Withholding process and were paid out those days in the past.
Entering a Rehire
Main Menu > Workforce Administration > Job Information > Rehire
- Enter the Empl Record.
- Click the Search button.
- Enter the Effective Date, indicating the date of rehire.
- Confirm the default of "0" in Sequence. If this is a Rehire after a Termination on the same effective date the Sequence number may be “1” or higher.
- Enter the Reason for the rehire action.
NOTE: The Action field will automatically be populated with "Rehire".
- Enter the Position Number into which the employee is being rehired.
NOTE: When the user tabs out of the field, the attributes of the Position Number will populate many of the fields in the Rehire process.
- Click the Job Information tab.
- Confirm the default or select a new Appointment Code from the drop down list.
- Confirm the employee's default Work Schedule or enter a new value, indicating the days the employee will work.
- If necessary, update the Full/Part field by selecting a new value from the drop down list.
- Confirm the default for the Part-Time Pct field or enter the percentage, indicating the ratio of work time for the employee.
NOTE: The default value of "1.0000" cannot be modified if the employee's Comp Rate Code (Pay Basis Code) is Fee (FEE), Hourly (HRY) or Adjunct (AJT).
- Click Job Labor Tab and enter or change the Benefit Flag value that is applicable for the employee's position.
- Click the Payroll tab.
- Confirm the default or enter the Tax Location Code, indicating the state and local tax jurisdiction for this position.
- If necessary, update the employee's FICA Status (Federal Insurance Contributions Act) as a participant in Social Security and Medicare, by selecting a new value from the drop down list.
- Click the Salary Plan tab.
- Confirm the Salary Administration Plan, Grade, and Grade Entry Date, which are based on the attributes of the position.
- Click the Compensation tab.
- The Anniversary Date, Increment Code, and FIS Amount default to the value on the employee's prior Job row.
NOTE: If the Increment Code and/or FIS Amount need to be changed, the new information must be entered on the Job Action Requests page when the salary information is entered.
- The Salary field defaults to blank on a rehire. Once the rehire process is completed, the employee's salary information must be entered on the Job Requests page. (See Entering Salary Data for a New Hire, Rehire or Concurrent Job.) The transaction will be loaded to Job Data once the request has been approved.
- Click the Employment Data link.
- Enter the Mail Drop ID, identifying the code used by the agency for the distribution of checks and check advices. The mail drop ID will default to the value on the employee’s prior Job row.
- Click the Benefits Program Participation link.
- Verify the Benefit Record Number.
NOTE: The Benefit Record Number should match the Empl Rcd #.
- Select Eligible for Health Insurance Coverage (Y/N).
- Enter Date Eligible for Health Insurance Coverage if Y is selected. This field will gray out if N is selected.
- Insert a new row within the Benefit Program Participation Details by clicking the plus sign (+) or Alt +7. Enter the Effective Date indicating the date on which the employee's benefit program becomes active.
- Select in the Benefit Program field.
- Use the Lookup feature or enter the Benefit Program for which this employee is eligible.
- Click the Save button. This will save the entire rehire transaction.
- Review any warning messages received and take note of the suggested action(s), then click the OK button.
The employee has been rehired into the Payroll System.